Thursday, January 20, 2011

2010 Movies

After extended searching of the internet's lists and much strain on my brain to remember what came out this year, here are my Top 10 Films of 2010. They are not ranked, but I will tell which one is my favorite at the end of the post.


Never Let Me Go

My desire to see this film came after reading the novel of the same name. I found it on some "Best Of" list and decided to give it a go. The novel is heartbreaking, poignant, incisive, and frightening. And the film is the same way--I will contend that this is the best adaptation I have seen to date. The picture itself is beautiful, with its muted tones of brown and dark green. The story is intimate, almost as if you know the characters. My favorite aspect of the novel was that the author captured the little nuances of relationships, (how one looks at another, the tone of one's voice filled with implicit meaning, etc.), and the film does it almost as well. I will always remember when Kathy confronts Ruth about how she rubs Tommy's shoulders like the older teens that Ruth idealizes. The film is a tender, emotional walk with characters that you feel you know personally.


Exit Through The Gift Shop

This film is the "Waking Life" of documentaries in that it reinvents how one a movie can be made. Is it real? What does it say about art regardless? The film shows a (whether real person or character) happy-go-lucky goofball whose love of graffiti art leads him on adventures with the most dangerous artists of our time. And the mystique of Banksy grows and grows...

Toy Story 3

This summer was my last summer at home; I was leaving for college in several weeks, and Toy Story 3 was like seeing my situation on screen. I'm sure mothers across the world were feeling the same way. I will never forget the scene where Andy plays with his toys for the last time before handing them over to another youngster. Although the super-hype over this film left me feeling annoyed, the film itself made me feel wonderful.

Inception

I am always kicking myself because I haven't been able to experience cultural phenomenons (Seinfeld, MASH, Lost, etc.)--I can now say that I have my phenom. For weeks, people everywhere were talking about it, whether the totem fell or not. It almost became a joke itself how much people talked about it. It spurned deep discussions and in depth analysis. And, for the first time for me, I experienced a real movie moment: at the end of the film when the totem is spinning, wobbling, spinning, and then BOOM, the credits roll, the entire audience groaned. Like, audibly groaned. It was incredible. The film is mind blowing with its special effects, its acting, its tone, and its imagination. This was by far the most creative and entertaining film of the year.

The Social Network

I hate hype. It prevents me from viewing a movie without expectations and bias. People were saying that The Social Network was a perfect film. Now I'm not sure I can judge if it is or not, but it is very, very good. It just feels like an expertly made film from the very first scene (if I could ever write a scene like that, I would be a millionare). Jesse Eisenberg is great, contrary to popular hearsay. A great film.

Somewhere

I love this film. I think the absent story arch, the style, the message are in a different category than most films. While most films are concerned with telling a story in traditionally strict perimeters, Somewhere ambles and meanders, just short of too much. I think that style is daring and avent-garde. The film shows how empty a life of celebrity is, even when you can have everything. It shows that having everything does not result in happiness. Stephen Dorff is spot on as a bored star, and Elle Fanning is adorable. This is a film ahead of its time.

Black Swan

This film has the darkest tone I've ever seen in a movie. It deals with obsession, perfection, corruption, and ballet. Natalie Portman is amazing (like everyone says) and Mila Kunis is hot. Using a handheld camera to allow the audience to dance with the dancers was a great choice.

Blue Valentine

This is the scariest movie I've ever seen. It's scary because it is real, real people who once loved each other now have nothing left. It's terrifying for someone like me who values the love of others above most everything else. How do I know I won't fall out of love with someone? How do I know someone won't get tired of me? Michelle Williams is terrific, but Ryan Gosling is outstanding. His distinct portrayal of a person at two different points in his life is the best I've ever seen.

127 Hours

I love this film because it feels the way Born To Run (the book) feels--going out there in the wild, running, feeling free and alive, at least for the first few minutes. It is exciting and entertaining, emotionally taxing and triumphant. And if this film doesn't win Best Cinematography, I will lose faith in the Academy Awards.

The Kids Are All Right


A fun, raunchy, hilarious look at an atypical family. Julianne Moore is great as a hippie mom, and Annette Benning is good as her wife. Mark Ruffalo is funny and charming, and the kids are all right. Ba-dump CH.

My favorite film of the year: tie--Inception and Somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment