Monday, February 7, 2011

My Future

I was sitting on my bed, thinking about many things. The topic that was most prevalent in my head was my future; more specifically, my hopes for the future. I came to the conclusion that I have no dream of what a perfect life would be. I don't know what I want to do for myself for the rest of my life if I had the chance. I would like to be a cinematographer, but that is only for a profession (and an art, yes). But if I could go anywhere, where would I go?

I came up with this: if I have to stay in the U.S., I want to go to Horseshoe Canyon in Arkansas. I want to live in that beautiful valley, facing the tree-lined mountains, free to fish or ride horses or run and be away from it all, and yet close enough to be around the people I love without too much loss of time or money.

What I learned about myself is that I want to be both consumed by nature and near people. Those seem contradictory, I know. I can't understand it. All I know is that I want to be able to interact with people often, but not necessarily every day. Or, better yet, I have a stable, easy job that lets me have the weekends (or whenever the most awesome waves come in) to go be in the wild. That would be legit.

Why the nature kick all the sudden? I have no idea. There's just something about being in the wild that is so appealing, almost subconsciously. It's as if my body knows that it was not made for these buildings, cars, and suburban lives. That's my theory about why my feet stink--my body knows that my feet aren't supposed to be wrapped up in shoes all day but rather, able to walk free, so it makes the feet rebel in the only way they can. Outlandish, yeah, but possible.

I want to surf, I want to hike, I want to see the tops of mountains and the world they watch over, I want to camp, I want to run, and I want to be in the place where we were created to be.

If I could go anywhere in the world, I would go to Ilha Grande. That place is the perfect mixture of wild and civilization. I decided that if I don't have a job lined up after graduation, I will go live down their for at least a month. I hope I can't find work.

No comments:

Post a Comment