Friday, February 4, 2011

My Unhated Least Favorite

I didn't like Rain Man.

Everyone I've ever talked to about movies has told me "you have to see Rain Man!" Everyone said it was great, that Dustin Hoffman was amazing.

I disagree. I think Dustin Hoffman was just acting like a robot, that's it. And that's been done a million times and isn't difficult. I think it is interesting that Tom Cruise has perfect hair in every single scene of the movie, and he looks like a barbie with all that makeup. I think the plot was trite and that none of the characters truly changed (a weak script, I would cry).

But what I think about most is how safe the cinematography was. Everything was standing still. No movement. In the 60's, there was so much experiment with the camera--different movements, angles, and most of all, long shots. One shot without being interrupted by close up. This is the style I want to shoot. I want every single shot to be different than anything that has ever been done before. I want to experiment, to try and break new ground in the field. I want to make a movie that was completely the opposite of Rain Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment