Thursday, February 10, 2011

Under Cover of Darkness

For over a year, I have been waiting for this moment. It was always in the back of my mind, popping up whenever I would think about following a band religiously, which is what I do. And now, this is it (reference very much intended): the Strokes put out their new single from their forthcoming album. The single is called "Under Cover of Darkness." And I will say, I like it.



The song starts with an upbeat drum and guitar combo, sounding like a 60's pop song went through a garage rock washing machine. Then, Julian's voice comes on. At first, I was sad that they chose to leave his voice clean, without the effects found on the first two albums. He chose no voice box on "First Impressions of Earth," and I wasn't impressed, so I assumed it wasn't going to be good. Later in the song, though, I would be proved wrong. The guitars are peppy, and your head instantly bobs up and down. When Julian sings "it's a nightmare," it is apparent that the Strokes have not lost their sound one bit. The first verse sounds playful, yet also hurt, as most Strokes songs sound.

The build up hears Julian tell someone "don't go that way, I'll wait for you." In those lines, a longing (that is amplified in the chorus) is poignant in a way that reminds me of Counting Crows, which was cited as one of the influences for this new album.

I just noticed that in the background of the chorus is harmony. I don't recall the Strokes ever doing harmony before, however, I could be wrong. Nevertheless, it works. The chorus reads "I'm tired of all your friends, listening at your door. I won't, I better call you. So long, my friend and adversary. But I'll wait for you." I'm impressed that one song can sound both chipper and also heartbroken.

After the first chorus, an interesting two guitar riff is played. At first, they play the same notes, but then one switches into a high pitched squeal. It's a sound I've not heard before, or at least consciously.

The second verse is similar to the first, except that in it, Julian verbalizes so much more emotion. At one point he sings "I've been out around this town and everybody's been singing the same song ten years," a profound discontent that I like.

The second chorus is composed of enigmatic lyrics that I can't decipher. Nevertheless, I like it because what I've come to understand about the Strokes is that feeling is most important. The tone of the song is essential.

The guitar solo starts off simple, unimpressive, rhythmic. Then, the drums break down and the solo jumps into a sort of looping, meandering sound. Next, the drums build up and the solo goes back to the simple sound. While it doesn't sound technically complex, it is pleasant and provides an adequate emotional build up to the next chorus.

In this chorus, Julian really communicates that he has had enough. "I'm TIRED of all your friends, KNOCKING down your door" he sings with emphasis. Then he respectably grabs a high note out of nowhere, a fitting end to the song.

Under Cover of Darkness is confusing in that it seems to be catchy and shallow; however, it skillfully intertwines sadness into a jangly pop song, a sound that the Strokes have not done this well ever before. While the song lacks the outright badass sound of the first two albums, it contains a remnant of it that makes the song feel like it is being sung by rock stars who have looked back at their careers, their lives, and seen things they regret. Which is exactly what the song is, or at least, where it's coming from.

I do understand that I am bias and am more likely to enjoy the song because it's the Strokes. But this isn't always certain--First Impressions of Earth made me feel queasy. That said, I give this song a 8.7 out of 10. High hopes for the new album have just been solidified.

No comments:

Post a Comment