Saturday, October 9, 2010

Baby. Baby. Baby. Oh.

Sometimes I take an inventory on the current popular music, and to do this, I had to add one view to Justin Bieber's "Baby" music video on Youtube.

I regret that decision.

First off, I felt embarressed for the guy (kid, kid, he's a kid), because it seems that he's being used by the masses and will one day be rejected with such speed that he won't have any reputation or credibility to rely on. Not that he does anyway. I mean come on-- the lyrics to the chorus are "baby, oh." The general public doesn't demand any higher entertainment than that? And from his other songs that I've heard, I've seen the over use of cliches, as in one after the other. Justin Bieber doesn't know what he's singing. Okay, maybe he had a first love. But his life essentially stopped after he became famous. He will be unable to have a normal adolescence/transition to adulthood, possibly even life. So what is he supposed to sing about if he can't have any experiences other than having people scream with joy when they see him and people wanting to know him for what he can do for them? I feel bad for him because he's a boy. He's not old. He has a pleasant voice, I'll give him that, but its prepubescent. When his rocks drop, his fan base, his record deal, everything will be gone.

Does anyone still listen to NSYNC? Billy Gillman? 98 Degrees? Not a chance, because these bands were erected for an audience whose preferences change rapidly. Not only that, but the audience then labels their previous tastes as childish, annoying, or stupid. I don't understand this. How can you throw your emotional and monetary state at an artist for a solid year, then simply move on to another one? Maybe it has something to do with hating the insecure, childish person you were then, and the music is a direct representation of that time.

All I know is that Justin Bieber is going to crash hard. I hope he doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment