Thursday, March 31, 2011

Facebook Day 2

I am attempting to get on Facebook as infrequently as I can, in hope that I won't become a slave to it.

Yesterday, I saw my Facebook activity through my email throughout the day, learning that people had accepted my friend requests or written on my wall. Using email notification was a smart move by Facebook, because it brings to my attention every interaction that occurs, thus making me want to get online to respond. Very sneaky, FB.

Here's the deal. I consider getting on Facebook on my phone lesser than getting on Facebook on a computer. I don't know why. Maybe it's because the screen is smaller and the format is different, thus making it inferior to the traditional, formal layout of computer layout Facebook. I prefer dealing with Facebook on a computer because it seems easier to navigate than on a phone, where you have to touch everything with your finger (which sometimes is difficult) and zoom in all the time. Computers are the best way to interact with Facebook.

I accepted some friend requests, observed what people had written on my wall, responded to messages people sent me (which I find to be most intimate and personal interaction on Facebook) and half-heartedly scanned through photos of several people. I then realized that I hadn't ever updated my status, and I started to stress. I find status updates to be taxing, because I used to put up quotes that made me seem intellectual and artistic, but the trick was to not to post quotes that made me seem too intellectual and artistic, a line that is difficult to walk. Now, in an attempt to avoid that excessive effort, I've decided only to post statuses that provide relevant, interesting, or important information. I don't want to update people with my every thought, because most of my thoughts are immature, incomplete, and illogical. Why would I want to share that with everybody? That's just asking for trouble.

My feelings toward Facebook are still positive. Maybe I had bad feelings about Facebook because I was angry that I enslaved myself to it, and I transfered the hatred of my actions to the neutral entity to which I had bonded myself. If I can keep from depending on Facebook, maybe I won't see it as a bad thing anymore.

1 comment:

  1. You can turn off email notifications. I can't stand them.

    ReplyDelete