Tuesday, September 28, 2010

August and Every Album After


Although I have a penchant for following bands that are new, I have been taken by Counting Crows, especially after listening to their debut album, "August and Everything After." Their sound appeals to me, obviously, but it's something more than that. Adam Duritz sings songs that affect me in ways that most other artists don't, or can't. Coupled with the sound of the band, they create an atmosphere that reaches the core of my soul and plops down on a couch. When I hear the first few words "The circus is falling down on its knees," I get sad and excited at the same time. I feel like I know the pain that Duritz sings of, but I don't feel like I know Duritz. I think this is a talented distinction created on their part. However, I feel like Maria is an old friend. Man, she is fascinating.

So, I'm going to give "Recovering the Satellites" a try, even though I've heard that their best is the debut. But I am hopeful. I thought about trying to listen to the album online, but after hearing the first few seconds of "Angels of the Silences," I knew I had to save it for a car ride, the best place to listen to a new album. That's where I listened to "Is This It?", with Drew and Jake alongside me; "Room on Fire" first made it to my ears through the scarlet assassin's speakers; and "August and Everything After" was heard in parts (thanks to Drew's mix), then fully there. All in all, I think listening to an album in a car is an unrivaled experience.

Thinking back, "Is This It?" was magical. That's the only way I can put it. I remember putting it in outside of the Barnes and Noble from which I bought it, and driving into the night with the title track playing. I felt so cool when I listened to it for the first few times. I felt awesome. Their coolness came through the speakers and settled into my bones. To this day, if I want to feel like a badass, I'll play the song "Is This It?" when I'm walking somewhere on campus.

All I'm asking for is another "Round Here" or "Raining in Baltimore." I'm not asking for another "Mr. Jones," because that song can't be matched. Oh, they get close with "Mrs. Potter's Lullaby" and "Hard Candy" and "Hangin Around," but "Mr. Jones" has the optimism of anonymity, the underdog attitude from having no one know about the band. It's wonderful.

If "Recovering The Satellites" goes well, I think the Counting Crows will have me in their grasp for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment