Sunday, September 12, 2010

Funny The Way It Is

I went to a Dave Matthews Band concert last night at the Superpages Center. It was really fun. I don't say that it was the best show I've ever been to, or that I loved it, because neither of those things are true. Yes, it was great to hear Dave live, but his music doesn't make my heart rise and roll and turn and spin like other bands do. I don't have an emotional attachment to his music, although I like some of his songs very much. As he and his band repeatedly played solos through every song, I honestly got bored. More than once I forgot what song he was playing because it went on for so long.

Despite this, I don't regret going to the concert. I got to hang out with Blaine, Sam, Mihir, and Cameron, which was great. And the music was amazing, it really was, it just didn't cut to my heart like something like "Landslide," "Round Here," or even "Hard To Explain." But it was a great experience-I have never smelled so much marijuana in my life. Every third inhale or so was filled with the scent of that much beloved plant being burned. Dave himself was obviously baked.

Hearing "#41" live was excellent. I wish he would have played either "Grey Street" or "The Idea of You," but you can't have everything. He played so many good songs that I can't complain.

Here is the set list, although I don't think it's in the right order.

1. The Last Stop
2. Big Eyed Fish
3. Granny
4. Shake Me Like a Monkey
5. Baby Blue
6. Why I Am
7. Everyday
8. Lie in Our Graves
9. Seven
10. You and Me
11. Write a Song
12. Jimi Thing
13. Cornbread
14. Spaceman
15. #41
16. Encore:
16. Some Devil
17. Ants Marching

(We only stayed through the first Encore, "Ants Marching." I don't know if they played the other song or not.)

Overall, I had a good time. It was fun, but not mind-blowing. Give me a break--I wasn't in high school in 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment