Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Death, Life, and Slacklining

I was reading Dr. Beck's blog (the only other blog I read besides my own) and, as he discussed Christian art pertaining to death, I stumbled across the Latin phrase "memento mori." Beck said the phrase can be translated either "remember you are mortal," or "remember you will die." The latter of the translations is the one that stuck out to me, because I think it is common to live our lives in ways that help us forget that we are going to die. We don't think about it often; only at funerals and sad movies and when someone famous dies.

Why do we not think about dying? For one, it's the end of life that we know. We know about earth, how we take in oxygen, how to drive on a road, how to read a book. But when we die, we know essentially nothing about how life is going to be lived. Will we need oxygen? Will we have eyes? Will we walk places or have some other form of transportation? The questions are endless. Dying takes us to a place that we know nothing about, and that is frightening.

Secondly, we don't think about death because often, it is painful. People die in car crashes and by drowning and being trapped in burning or collapsing buildings. Maybe people believe that if you think about the painful ways you can die, one will serendipitously die one of those ways. A different and more likely explanation is that thinking about people dying in painful ways makes a person sad. It is heartbreaking to hear about the excruciating ways that people's lives have ended. And people don't like to be sad, so they don't think about it.

It makes sense for people not to think about dying if death is the end all, the final stage in life. But if death was viewed as just another experience (albeit a rather important one), another step in the walk of life, it would change the way we thought about it. For Christians, Christ promised that there is everlasting life for those who love Him. And most people believe there is going to be no more pain or sorrow or suffering in that life. So, for Christians, death should almost be viewed as an anticipated event. Think about it--a life of never feeling lonely or awkward or depressed or betrayed or unloved is beyond anything we can understand, yet desire more than anything. We want what is promised on the other side of Death's door.

It's a strange dichotomy to anticipate what most people fear. Because for most people, this life is all we have. One who is not religious has no promise of life after death, so it would make sense for them to try and enjoy this life as much as they can. I now understand the train of thought behind "Garden State," where the main character views death as the end and decides that he has to live it up while he's still alive. To me, that's more depressing than death, the idea that our ride on the merry-go-round only lasts one quarter's worth, then we're done.

Memento mori provides me with a heavy amount of perspective. It makes me concentrate on my finiteness, which in turn makes me consider the way that I'm living my life. If I only have a certain number of days, then I consider the importance of what I do (making short films, reading books, etc.). These activities give me purpose when I don't think about death. To contemplate on a cliched line from "Gladiator," does what I do in this life echo in eternity? Is slacklining and geocaching and making short films worthless on the scale of eternal significance?

To answer that question, it is important to ask two questions: why am I doing it, and what am I doing with it? Why do I slackline, and what does my participation in slacklining do for me, as well as for others? In the fascinating book Born To Run, the author finds that one cannot see running as a means to an end ("a better body, a cute butt," whatever), but running itself must be the end in order to keep it in one's life. If you run to get in shape, most likely you will eventually tire of it (if not come to hate it) and stop. But if you run for the love of running, the love of the contact of your foot and the ground, the love of the pain in your calves and lungs; then, you will never get tired of it, you will never stop. I think that is spiritual, a love for something. It has to be. "Every good and perfect gift comes from above," the Bible says--tell me that slacklining is not a good and perfect gift.Therefore, I think that doing things you love is not a waste of time, because it was blessed by God. I think that the things we do in our lives because in some way, they connect with some deep part of us, are worthy of the hours that make up our limited days. And maybe heaven will be a place where we get to do these things forever, with God watching us face to face.

All I know for sure is, if I ever get a tattoo, it will say memento mori.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ben,

    I stumbled across your blog looking for student reactions to the Cornerstone Spotlight to gauge where reactions might be before I get into class Friday. First, I want to say the post on Cornerstone impressed me with how well you processed the ideas Dr. Beck presented and how well you articulated your response. I hope that one day you find yourself in an English class with me. If you really liked the ideas in Dr. Beck's talk, ask him about Girard, scapegoating and the non-sacrificial sacrifice one day after class.

    Second, memento mori is a term that pre-dates this use, but a group of (British) Renaissance poets including George Herbert are labeled memento mori poets as they offer a view of death that encourages living faithfully to your beliefs (which are assumed to be Christian in that era). However, at the same time, the same motivation produces another result from a different group of poets. You have probably heard of the notion of "carpe diem." They commonly urged their imagined lovers to throw caution to the wind because, with death immanent and imminent, you should squeeze every drop of experience out of each moment. A very different result than memento mori. Recognizing that both have seized on truths, the best truth does not necessarily lie anywhere close to the middle, and discovering where you align yourself in their dialogue is a big part of the type of truth finding that we hope happens in Cornerstone.

    Blessings on your journey,
    Bill Carroll (Dept. of English at grand ol' ACU)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Carroll,

    First of all, I'd like to thank you for responding to my blog. You are the first person to comment on it, ever. I feel like a celebrity.

    Secondly, I was wondering how you found out about it. You see, I don't tell many people about this blog--only the people who I want to remain in my life from back home, so it's strange to me that someone could find it. Were you told about it, or did you find it some other way? I'm not angry or anything like that, just curious.

    And finally, thank you for letting me know about the momento mori poets. They sound fascinating. I wonder if my literary preferences will align with their work. I'm going to look up some of George Herbert's work and go from there.

    Also, the contrasting ideas of the poets is something I've thought about, you'll notice if you clicked on the link to my Garden State review. The carpe diem mindset is one of the saddest things I can think of, because, at the end of the day, you are trying to fill a life with enjoyment that won't last beyond your death. But memento mori (when viewed through religious eyes) is inspiring and shocking in a good way, a meaningful way. At least, it is to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben,

    A quick google search of "Richard Beck Cornerstone" listed your previous post in the top 10 results, though it doesn't today. I am honestly happy to slink away if the possibility of me being here makes you censor your blogging, but I have enjoyed my quick introduction to you through your blog.

    Have a great weekend,
    Bill Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Carroll,

    Aha, that's really cool that you found me that way! And as for reading my blog, I don't feel socially or authoritatively threatened at all. If you find my aimless, teenage banter about my life interesting, by all means continue reading. The choice is yours.

    ReplyDelete