Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Movies and Peers

I have observed an interesting trend over the past few days that leads me to an insight about the typical movie-watching American male. I understand off the bat that I am not a typical film viewer; I tend to stay away from the mainstream films (I even resent many of them) and veer towards classics and films with reputations of being good art.

Therefore, when at college, I encounter many typical movie watchers. When people come into my dorm and see my movie collection, their first instinct is to examine it to see if I have any of the films they have seen and/or like. But upon examination, their faces become silent as they realize they don't know most of the films I keep in my collection. I had one guy make a disdainful comment when he saw that I had "Brokeback Mountain" in my collection, a film with excessive homophobic hatred and fear. Mostly, people end their perusing finding only my M. Night Shyamalan collection or The Matrix trilogy or "The Dark Knight" as ones they have seen.

This affirms my thoughts that I was abnormal in my movie watching. This doesn't make me sad. No, in a prideful way, this brings me satisfaction. I guess it's elitism, a film-snobbery. I don't care. Because I understand the types of films I like, and I won't change that for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment