Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Stairwell Sessions

I was sitting in my room, reading The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo, when I heard music playing somewhere in the dorm. It was pretty loud and had that echo-y sound to it, so I assumed that people were playing in the bathroom. Then I heard what sounded like drums, and someone singing really loudly. I wondered how they could have gotten a whole drum set into the bathroom. I thought maybe they just used the snare or something. I kept wondering for about 10 minutes, letting my mind wander as I absent-mindedly read the words on the page, not getting any meaning from them. Then I decided to see what's going on (memento mori!), and I ventured into the hall.

I looked around and found that the sound was not coming from the bathroom, but the stairwell. Two guys were sitting in there, having a jam session. One was playing a guitar, the other a cello. I said nothing and sat down to listen.

I asked afterward about that song, and the guy playing the guitar said it was something he had written in bits and pieces, and had now just put it together. And the guy with the cello was completely improving. How awesome is that? Only in college can this experience happen. I'm glad I took a risk and chose to explore rather than to ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment