Thursday, August 19, 2010

Rambling

Writing is my solace. Whenever I feel uncomfortable or anxious or unsure, I write and feel better.

But now, in the words of Julian Casablancas, "I got nothing to say."

..........

I heard a song today that made me embarrassed for the artist. I'm sure anyone who knows pop culture could immediately tell who the artist is, but I don't know and don't care to look it up. Part of the song says "I want to be a billionaire, so freaking bad." That alone made me chuckle in shame. The rest of the song goes on to tell what the singer is going to do when he gets rich, from playing basketball with the president to being on the cover of Forbes with Oprah and the Queen. When reflecting on this, I remember hearing a similar song that has the lyrics "oh I just can't wait to be king."

Yup, the Lion King.

The song says the same thing a Disney movie did about a talking lion.

The problem with the popular rap song is that it is supposed to be a popular rap song, but he ends up just communicating that he wants money SO MUCH, and that he will do all these cool things when he gets it. It's stupid. I really can't think of another word for it. This guy is just saying that he wants money and what he will do with it. That's it. And people eat that shit up. I really don't understand it. It's not even catchy--it's annoying. It even sounds vaguely like ska. Hows that for street cred?

I do understand the draw for some popular music (the catchy beats and lyrics), but this song has neither. It makes me feel sorry for all the people my age who listen to it and find pleasure in it. There should be none gained from that song.

No comments:

Post a Comment